About Me

My photo
I have lived in La Grange Park for 30+ years in the same house. It is one of the best decisions I ever made. Raised my kids here, a great place to be.

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Competition is a Good Thing





My son, the perpetual fitness advocate and giver of Christmas presents I would never buy for myself, got me a Fitbit for Christmas 2014.

I had asked for it because I walk every day, had been clocking my steps with my Nano (a previous gift from him many Christmases ago). I saw Fitbit advertised, thought it looked good and he got me one – with a fuchsia band.


I set a goal of 10,000 steps a day and 8 hours of sleep a day. I never thought I would achieve the latter.


I reach the step goal a few times a week. I’ve doubled it twice in a year. I also have ‘friended’ two girlfriends, one is 10 years younger than I and walks every day with a fellow woman warrior and another friend just one year younger than I. And yes, I usually am beaten to a pulp by my younger friends.


An unforeseen benefit is that I am sleeping! Maybe not like a baby but clocking eight hours a night, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. There is a sleep graph that shows you your restless times and your awake times. I do wake up a couple of times during the night, but the time between wake-ups is totally clear on the chart – meaning uninterrupted sleep. It’s a godsend.


Having raised two kids, I don’t think I have had uninterrupted sleep in – let’s see, one kid is 34 the other is 29. In about 34 years.


No longer am I complaining about how badly I slept. No longer am I nodding off during the day while reading the newspaper (even at 7:30 in the morning). No longer does my bed beckon to me at 8:30 p.m.
I am now well-rested….all because I want to beat my Fitbit!





No comments:

Post a Comment