About Me

My photo
I have lived in La Grange Park for 30+ years in the same house. It is one of the best decisions I ever made. Raised my kids here, a great place to be.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Springtime in Fall

Last week as I was walking down my driveway, I caught a glimpse of purple on my aged lilac bush. In recent years, autumn clematis has crawled up the lilac and graced the top with lovely white flowers and the unique fragrance of fall. But purple? I thought it was one of my unruly morning glories that made its way up the bush.




I looked closer: it was a lilac! This bush is probably 60 or 70 years old and I have lived in my house adoring these lilacs for 34 years – adoring them in the spring. But the fall? Never.



I even cut one and brought it in the house so I could capture the delicious aroma. It was a small flower and there were just a few on the bush; certainly not the prolific flowering that is typical around Mother’s Day.



But this past spring, by Mother’s Day, the lilacs were already spent, having bloomed in mid March when we were “unseasonably warm.” March to September = 6 months.



Wonder what Spring 2013 will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment