About Me

My photo
I have lived in La Grange Park for 30+ years in the same house. It is one of the best decisions I ever made. Raised my kids here, a great place to be.

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Season of Thanks

My Thanksgiving rose
The Season of Thanks




When I was a kid, I had a friend, Judi Hoffmeyer, who was one of six children. I loved being at their house, as there was always something going on. It was a different life in the 50’s and 60’s: we kids were pretty much left alone playing outside all day, coming in for lunch and returning home in the evening when the streetlights went on at night. So, when one of the dads asked us to do something with him, it was a special treat.



Each Thanksgiving morning, Judi’s dad would take Judi and a couple of her siblings and me on a hike in the forest preserve. I was thrilled to be included in the event. We would meet up on a frosty Thanksgiving day, bundled up, walking shoes tied tightly and hike on the trails in the forest near our homes. We crunched the leaves, breathed in the autumn smells – we could burn leaves in those days – we felt the chill on our faces, the sun shining brightly on the trail – it was fall at its most perfect. It is one of my fondest memories of Thanksgivings past – and I am sure Mrs. Hoffmeyer was happy to have everyone out of the house.



As it was then, this time of year is still one of my favorites. I love it when it gets cooler, when the clocks get turned back and the leaves are all gone from the trees. This fall, in particular has been spectacular. The sunsets have been magnificent, casting russet tones all over the neighborhood. The leaves, though not burning any longer in the streets, still hold that special scent of autumn and they still crunch under my feet.



Me? I am so thankful for my family, my husband, my kids….my friends, my dog, my health. Backing up into my driveway the other day, I caught a glimpse of pink out of the corner of my eye. Among the brambles, the rose hips and the yellowed leaves, there it was again - my Thanksgiving rose!

Glitter pumpkins by Lizzie


Happiest Thanksgiving.









1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you had a wonderful day with your family!

    ReplyDelete